Printer-friendly > Home > Forms > Candidacy Related Forms

Candidacy Related Forms 

Recommendation for Advancement to Candidacy

The basic requirements for a doctoral student to be admitted to candidacy are:

  • all required coursework has been successfully completed,
  • the comprehensive examination has been passed, and
  • the supervisory committee has certified that the thesis proposal has been approved.

Where the program specifies the completion of a foreign language requirement, it is an additional requirement for being admitted to candidacy. A graduate program may also wish to apply additional criteria for students to be admitted to candidacy. In such cases, the graduate program must inform the College of Graduate Studies and the student(s) of these criteria in writing.

As soon as a student has satisfied all requirements, the graduate program must recommend to the College of Graduate Studies that the student be admitted to candidacy. This status is then entered on the University’s Student Information System (SISC). “Advancement to candidacy” and the date which this status were met will appear on the student's transcript.

Students are expected to complete their comprehensive examination within 24 months from the date of initial registration. A student who is not admitted to candidacy within 36 months from date of initial registration must withdraw from the program. Extension of this period may be permitted by the Dean of Graduate Studies in exceptional circumstances. A completed request form and supporting documentation must be submitted to the College of Graduate Studies.

Request for Extension to Time Allowed for Advancement to Candidacy Form

Doctoral Comprehensive Examination Report

Last reviewed shim4/20/2017 2:26:57 PM

A Note about Our Forms

All application forms are now in Adobe® (PDF) format. In order to fill out interactive forms, users must have Adobe® Reader® version 8.0 or above. You can download the free Adobe® Reader® here. Users who do not have Adobe® Reader® version 8.0 or above may not be able to open or fill out our forms.

If you have any problems with the forms, please call our office at (250) 807-8772 or e-mail