Printer-friendly > Home > Prospective Students > Application & Admission > Visiting Students & Exchange Agreements > Visitors from Canadian Universities

Visitors from Canadian Universities


Students enrolled in graduate programs at other Canadian universities may enrol at UBC as a visiting student through one of three mechanisms:

Universities included
Western Deans' Agreement
  • Athabasca University
  • University of Alberta
  • Brandon University
  • University of British Columbia
  • British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
  • University of Calgary
  • University of Lethbridge
  • University of Manitoba
  • University of Northern British Columbia
  • University of Regina
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • Simon Fraser University
  • University of Victoria
Graduate Exchange Agreement
  • University of Toronto
  • McGill University
  • University of Montréal
Regular Visiting Students
  • All other universities

Western Deans' Agreement

Students at participating Universities in Western Canada can attend other institutions as visiting students without having to pay the host university's tuition fees.

Students may be required to pay student, activity, application, or other ancillary fees to the host institution, according to general policies in effect at the host institution. Wherever possible, these fees will also be waived.

To visit UBC under the Western Deans' Agreement, fill out the WDA Authorization Form and obtain the required signatures.

Students must have the Western Deans' Agreement Authorization form approved by the relevant Graduate Program Advisor and the Faculty of Graduate Studies at the host institution at least two weeks prior to the commencement of the course(s) requested. The deadline may vary by institution.  The fee waiver is not available retroactively.

To qualify, you must be:

  • in good academic standing in a graduate program at the home institution
  • up-to-date in payment of all current and back fees at the home institution
  • seeking to take courses that are considered integral to your degree program

Students in the following graduate programs are not eligible for the WDA: MEng, MBA or MM

Graduate Exchange Agreement

This agreement allows graduate students in good academic standing at UBC, McGill University, University of Toronto and University of Montréal to take courses at each other's university without having to pay extra tuition fees to the host institution.

Graduate Exchange Authorization forms are available here.

The terms of the agreement for the Graduate Exchange Agreement are the same as those set out for the Western Deans' Agreement.

Regular Visiting Students

Students with good academic standing at Canadian universities not participating in other exchange agreements may enrol at UBC as regular visiting students.  Students may hold visiting status at UBC for a maximum of 12 months.  To apply, follow these steps:

Applicants for regular visiting status must submit the following:

  • Contact the graduate program in which you would like to be a visiting student.  You will need to find a faculty member in the program to agree to be your host supervisor.
  • If the program agrees to host you, you will need to submit the pdf application form and application fee.  Please e-mail to request the pdf form.
  • Send one set of official transcripts in a sealed and endorsed envelope issued by the Registrar of your home institution directly to the College of Graduate Studies.
  • Send a letter of permission from your home university’s Registrar or department head confirming that the coursework and/or research undertaken at UBC while a visiting student is for the purpose of completing the graduate degree requirements at the home university. (Send directly to the College of Graduate Studies.)

Visiting graduate students who wish to take credit courses must register for those courses and will be assessed tuition fees at the prevailing graduate per credit rate, plus authorized student fees.

Visiting graduate students who are engaged in research activity only (no courses) must register for the non-credit activity 'Visiting Graduate Student' (VGRS 599). The fee for each registration in this activity, which covers either Winter Session Term 1 or Term 2, or Summer Session, is equal to the tuition fee for one credit of coursework plus authorized student fees.


Last reviewed shim10/13/2017 11:40:47 AM