Printer-friendly > Home > Prospective Students > Application & Admission > Visiting Students & Exchange Agreements > Visitors from International Universities


Visitors from International Universities


Students registered in graduate degree programs at international universities may apply to come to UBC through one of these mechanisms:

Go Global Student Exchange Program

UBC's Okanagan campus has a large international student exchange program, known as "Go Global".  Graduate students at any of our Go Global exchange partner universities can apply to come to UBC's Okanagan campus as an exchange student.  Visit the Go Global website for more information.

Other international visiting students

If your home institution is not a Go Global exchange partner, you may still apply to come to UBC as a regular visiting graduate student to take courses and conduct research.  To apply, follow these steps:

  • Contact the graduate program in which you would like to be a visiting student.  You will need to find a faculty member in the program to agree to be your host supervisor.
  • If the program agrees to host you, you will need to submit the pdf application form and application fee.  Please e-mail to request the pdf form.
  • Send one set of official transcripts in a sealed and endorsed envelope issued by the Registrar of your home institution directly to the College of Graduate Studies.
  • Send evidence of English proficiency, where applicable, in the form of an official TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB score.
  • Send a letter of permission from your home university‚Äôs Registrar or department head confirming that the coursework and/or research undertaken at UBC while a visiting student is for the purpose of completing the graduate degree requirements at the home university. (Send directly to the College of Graduate Studies.)
  • If successful in your application, you will be sent an admission letter which you can use to obtain a study permit.

Visiting graduate students who wish to take credit courses must register for those courses and will be assessed tuition fees at the prevailing graduate per credit rate, plus authorized student fees.

Visiting graduate students interested in research activity only (no courses) should apply as Visiting International Research Students (VIRS).  For more information, please visit the VIRS webpage.


Last reviewed shim4/12/2017 3:08:33 PM