Governor General's Gold Medal
One gold medal is awarded to the student who has achieved the most outstanding academic record as a doctoral or master’s student completing a thesis. This is an opportunity to honour the best in the graduating class within the College of Graduate Studies.Medals are presented on behalf of the Governor General of Canada by participating educational institutions, along with a personalized certificate signed by the Governor General. There is no monetary award associated with the medals.
Students must have submitted the final copy of their thesis to the College of Graduate Studies between January 1, 2017 and
December 31, 2017.
- Permanent Resident
The nomination deadline to the College of Graduate Studies is: TBD
Each graduate program nomination must include the following:
- Application form filled out by the student (click here for form)
- All university-level transcripts (original or certified true copy of official transcripts from universities besides UBC; copy of Academic History from SISC will be accepted in place of official UBC transcript)
- Copy of External Examiner’s report - if applicable
- Letter of support from thesis supervisor
- Letter of support from Department Head
- All nominations must be submitted as a hard copy to CoGS - TBD
Program Heads and Program Graduate Coordinators:
Each Program Head & Program Coordinator will nominate one student to the College of Graduate Studies. Each Program nomination must include the following:
- Cover memo with the name of the recommended student and a brief description of the Program's internal review process and the rationale for ranking a candidate
- Nomination package for each student as submitted by graduate program (see section above)
The College of Graduate Studies will form a committee to review the recommendations from all programs and select a winner.
The College of Graduate Studies submits a 150-word citation for the winner to Ceremonies and Events, which will be read at Convocation in June 2018 and informs the winner and confirms attendance at Convocation. The winner may have graduated at an earlier Convocation, but are invited to attend the June 2018 ceremony. Governor General Recommendation Forms for the winner are then submitted to the Student Financial Assistance and Awards office, which assigns the award on the Student Information System.
Questions about the Governor General's Gold Medal should be directed to the Graduate Awards Coordinator, Nicole McLeod at firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information about the Governor General's Academic Medals can be found on the website for the Governor General of Canada - http://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=15008&lan=eng
Last reviewed 8/18/2017 10:35:37 AM