Graduate Dean's Thesis Fellowship
The Graduate Dean’s Thesis Fellowship is a merit based fellowship that is awarded to full-time, thesis based MFA & PhD students that are approaching their final year and are focussing on the completion of their thesis or dissertation. This scholarship is intended to provide financial support while students are engaged in the final writing stages of their graduate program.
Annual Value: $6,000
Deadline: Internal deadlines are determined by graduate programs; students are to check with the graduate program in which they are registered.
- Students must have maintained satisfactory standing throughout the full duration of their program of study.
- Students who receive external agency funding through any of the following federal scholarship programs may not concurrently hold Graduate Dean’s Thesis Fellowship funding:
- SSHRC CGS Doctoral or SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship
- NSERC CGS D or PGS D
- CIHR Doctoral Award
- Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’s Program (CGS M)
- Vanier CGS
- Trudeau Doctoral Scholarship
- PhD students must be admitted to candidacy.
- Students may receive Graduate Dean’s Thesis Fellowship funding only once per degree program.
Number of Months of Study:
- At the time of receiving an award a MFA student must have completed no more than 24 months of study in the master’s program for which they are requesting funding.
- At the time of receiving an award a PhD student must have completed no more than 48 months of study in the doctoral program for which they are requesting funding.
- Permanent Residents
- Master’s in Fine Arts (MFA)
- Current students
- Please see the College of Graduate Studies Internal Awards Evaluation Criteria.
- This is a competitive fellowship that recognizes excellence in graduate research and study.
- Students must complete a Graduate Dean's Thesis Fellowship application by the deadline date specified by their graduate program. Applications must be submitted directly to the graduate program in which the student is registered.
- Graduate programs must determine an internal deadline for students in their program. It is important for graduate programs to establish a deadline that will allow sufficient time to provide nominations for each award cycle as determined by the College of Graduate Studies (please see nomination procedures outlined below).
- The Graduate Dean’s Thesis Fellowship is administered by the College of Graduate Studies.
- Graduate programs will review and rank all applications received and nominate up to two applications per cycle to the College of Graduate Studies.
- Graduate programs are able to nominate up to two applications per award cycle:
2017-2018 Nomination Deadlines
2017-2018 Award Cycles
|November 2||January (2017WT2)
By the applicable nomination deadline, graduate programs must submit:
1) A copy of the student’s Graduate Dean’s Thesis Fellowship application form.
2) A copy of the supervisor(s) recommendation form - Graduate Dean's Thesis Fellowship Supervisor Form.
- Nominations received from graduate programs will be reviewed and ranked by the College of Graduate Studies (CoGS) Scholarship and Awards Committee.
- The Dean of the College of Graduate Studies will approve the recommendations of the CoGS Scholarship and Awards Committee.
- Please submit nominated applications electronically to: email@example.com
Conditions for Award Holders:
- Award holders must maintain satisfactory progress in their program of study and remain registered as a full-time student for each term of the scholarship payment.
- Students cannot defer a Graduate Dean’s Thesis Fellowship award. Students may reapply each cycle, provided they remain eligible.
- If an award holder withdraws from his/her program of study, the funding received during the term for which the withdrawal is processed will be recovered by the College of Graduate Studies.
Questions? Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last reviewed 10/3/2017 11:23:22 AM