Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements
The Canada Graduate Scholarship Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements (CGS-MSFSS) Program supports high-calibre Canadian graduate students pursuing exceptional research experiences at research institutions outside of Canada. This program is available to Canadian citizens or permanent residents who currently hold a Vanier Scholarship or a Tri-Agency Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) at the master's or doctoral level. Note that international students who hold a Vanier scholarship are not eligible for this competition.
Annual Value: up to $6,000 for 3 to 6
Award Status: Active
- CIHR, NSERC and SSHRC: Friday, MAY 11, 2018 (4:00 pm PST)
For complete eligibility criteria, please review any of the following websites:
- Permanent Resident
- Continuing students
Supplements will be selected on the basis of the linkage between the current program of research goals, the proposed research/study activities at the host institution and the applicant’s future research/career goals, including consideration of:
- significance, feasibility and merit of proposed research study activities at the foreign institution
- justification for the choice of host institution and/or host supervisor
- relevance and anticipated benefits of the proposed research/study activities abroad to the candidate’s current graduate-degree training
*Please note: for this scholarship, current students of the Okanagan campus are able to apply directly to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies at the UBC-Vancouver campus. Students do not have to submit to the College of Graduate Studies first. If in need of assistance, questions can be directed to the College of Graduate Studies.
Students must submit the following application materials to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (UBC-V):
- signed and dated CGS-MSFSS application form. The application forms are common for all three agencies, and are accessed through any of the funding agency websites, completed online, and then printed off for submission to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. If the application form is not available on one agency's website, applicants may access and complete the form through either of the other agencies' websites.
- outline of proposed research while abroad (maximum two pages), including:
- a detailed description of your proposed research activities during your study period abroad
- a description of the potential benefits that you will derive from working at, or attending, the host institution (or other foreign study location, if applicable) in relation to your current research objectives
- timelines regarding your research study period abroad (start and end dates)
- letter of support from current research supervisor
- letter of support from potential host supervisor. The host supervisor will also need to indicate that they have the resources available (financial, supervision time, equipment, etc.) to support your planned research activities.
- Faxed or scanned supervisor letters printed on official letterhead and including the supervisor signature are acceptable for CIHR and NSERC applicants. For SSHRC applicants, supervisor letters must be original copies, signed in ink.
Normally, two competitions will be held each year: one in the spring and one in early fall. The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (UBC-V) will oversee the university-wide competition that will select nominees for CIHR, NSERC, and SSHRC. Applications will be reviewed and ranked by a committee composed of UBC faculty. The committee will select which applications are forwarded to the national funding agencies.
AWARD NOTIFICATION : ONLY SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED.
For detailed eligibility criteria, application instructions, and links to application materials, please visit the following websites:
For questions about UBC's application and review procedures, please contact : firstname.lastname@example.org
Last reviewed 4/13/2018 8:48:34 AM