Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarship
Up to 15 Trudeau Scholarships are awarded each year to support doctoral students pursuing research in one or more of the four themes: Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada in the World, and People in their Natural Environment. Trudeau Scholars are highly gifted individuals who are actively engaged in their fields and are expected to become leading national and international figures.
Annual Value: $40,000 stipend
plus $20,000 travel allowance
Award Status: Active
Applicant deadline: 11:59pm (Vancouver time) on Monday - October 23, 2017
- Candidates must be applying into the first year of a PhD at UBC, or be registered in the first or second year of a PhD at UBC.
- Although priority will be accorded to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, up to one fourth of the total number of Trudeau Scholars may be international students (preference will be given to international students from the developing world).
- Permanent Resident
- Incoming students
- Continuing students
Candidates must demonstrate the following qualities in their applications:
- academic achievement at the level of the most competitive scholarship programs worldwide
- an outstanding ability to engage in lively exchange with other researchers and scholars
- the intention to work in an area related to one or more of the four themes of the Foundation, and a desire to contribute to public dialogue around those themes. The four themes of the Foundation are: human rights and social justice, responsible citizenship, Canada in the world, and people and their natural environment.
Please note: Applicants must be truly exceptional. Not only must they be outstanding scholars (as evidenced by superior grades, awards, and publications), but they must also be engaged, contributing members of society as demonstrated by involvement in social, environmental, cultural, or political endeavors. Plainly put, Trudeau Scholars are expected to become leading national and international figures in their fields and in Canada. The level of competition is such that universities generally have only one successful candidate in each competition; many universities do not have any successful candidates at all. The award is targeted to a very few outstanding students, and the past years’ competitions indicate that a record of good scholarship alone is unlikely to result in an award.
Applications are submitted via the Trudeau Foundation application portal:
- Create an account online at: https://trudeaufdn.fluxx.io/apply/scholars
- For University Name, enter "The University of British Columbia"
- For Faculty or Department, enter the chosen UBC graduate program
- Registrants will receive a username and password in 2-3 business days (check the spam folder)
- Once access is granted, complete the application form, request three letters of recommendation, and upload transcripts
- Detailed application procedures are available on the Trudeau Foundation website: http://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/en/programs/scholarships/become-scholar
There is no graduate program review (or departmental nomination process) for the Fall 2017 competition. Applicants are asked to complete and submit their application online using the Trudeau Foundation application portal: https://trudeaufdn.fluxx.io. The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will retrieve the applications from the portal for university-level adjudication.
Applications will be reviewed and ranked by a committee of UBC faculty members. UBC may nominate a maximum of eight applications to the Trudeau Foundation. The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will provide a nomination letter from UBC, to complete each application package before submission to the Trudeau Foundation by: Friday, December 8, 2017
In early February 2018, semi-finalists will be notified. Finalists will be invited for interviews in early March 2018 and interviews will take place in mid-March in Montreal. UBC will cover the travel expenses of our nominees who are selected for interviews. Selected candidates will be notified in late April 2018.
AWARD NOTIFICATION : ONLY SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED.
For application forms and other information, please visit the Trudeau Foundation website.
Questions? Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last reviewed 9/5/2017 12:50:20 PM