University Graduate Fellowship (UGF)
Award Description (new as of January 1, 2018)
The University Graduate Fellowship (UGF) is awarded to current graduate students with satisfactory progress, first class standing, and who are engaged in a full-time thesis-based program at UBC’s Okanagan Campus.
Annual Value: This award may be received in increments of $3,000 to a maximum of $24,000. However, if the student holds a major external award, such as an NSERC, SSHRC or CIHR, a maximum amount of $15,000 may be awarded in addition to the major award. The funding for the UGF award will be made available from the University budget. The value of this award is reviewed annually.
Annual Deadline: June 15
- Students must have obtained a GPA of first-class standing (UBC courses: 80% or higher) in each of the last two completed years of full-time study (or full-time equivalent) to be eligible to receive funding.
- Master’s students must have completed, as of December 31, 2017, no more than 24 months of study in the program for which they are requesting funding.
- PhD students must have completed, as of December 31, 2017, no more than 48 months of study in the program for which they are requesting funding.
- Domestic and international students are eligible.
- Current students
- Satisfactory progress reports
- sign-off by grad program and CoGS
- first class standing
Annual progress reports must be completed and signed by both the student & supervisor/advisor, reviewed by the program coordinator, and submitted to the College of Graduate Studies by June 15th of each year to qualify for the award.
UGF award funding is allocated to graduate programs annually. Graduate programs will review and evaluate each progress report.
Graduate programs may notify the College of Graduate Studies on an on-going basis to increase initial award assignments.
Conditions for Award Holders:Conditions Pertaining to Satisfactory Progress:
- Award holders must maintain satisfactory progress in their program of study and remain registered as a full-time student for each term of the scholarship payment.
- If the College of Graduate Studies is notified of a student’s unsatisfactory progress, the College of Graduate Studies reserves the right to cancel a UGF award.
- Students are able to defer a UGF provided it is awarded within the same funding year (prior to March 31). Please see the following table:
|Winter term one||Winter term two|
|Winter term two
|Summer term one
||Winter term one or two
**A student may be granted special permission to defer to May if the nominating program permits. In this case, the nominating program must agree to maintain the financial commitment to the student for the following funding year.
Conditions Pertaining to a Leave of Absence:
Students granted leave of absence or parental leave retain the full value of any university graduate fellowship or other award whose terms and conditions are established by the College of Graduate Studies. Awards will be suspended at the onset of the leave, and reinstated at the termination of the leave period, provided the student returns to full-time study within the same academic year. Other awards will be paid according to the conditions established by the donor or granting agency.
Conditions Pertaining to Withdrawals:
- If an award holder withdraws from the program that nominated them for the scholarship, the funding received during the term for which the withdrawal is processed, will be recovered by the College of Graduate Studies and returned to the nominating program for further allocation.
Conditions Pertaining to Transferring to Another Area of Study:
- If an award holder “transfers” out of the program that nominated them for the award (i.e. from one unit within IGS to another unit within IGS), the student may retain the full scholarship payment only if both programs are in agreement.
- Note: the recipient program could agree to “repay” the scholarship allocation to the “source” program.
Conditions Pertaining to Program Completion:
- If an award holder completes the requirements of his/her program prior to receiving the full scholarship payment, the award holder will receive the remaining scholarship payment prior to the closing of his/her program.
Please contact: email@example.com
Last reviewed 1/15/2018 8:42:15 AM