Printer-friendly > Home > Current Students > Student Handbook > Program Management > Satisfactory Progress > Doctoral Students

Doctoral Students

Doctoral students must achieve a minimum of 68% (B-) in all courses taken for credit. If a student obtains a grade of less than 68% (B-), s/he should discuss this with the graduate program. If the program recommends, and the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies approves, the student may be allowed to repeat the course for higher standing or take an alternate course.

If a student has to repeat a failed required course, s/he must obtain a minimum mark of 74%. Higher minimum marks may be required by the graduate program or the College of Graduate Studies.

If the student does not improve his/her grade by repeating the course or taking an alternate course and obtaining a satisfactory grade, s/he may be required to withdraw from the graduate program.

If progress in a student’s research is unsatisfactory, s/he may be required to withdraw. The student will be informed of unsatisfactory progress in writing before any action regarding withdrawal is taken.

For doctoral students registered in the College of Graduate Studies, Fail (F) for individual courses is defined as below 68%. Some graduate programs may require a higher passing grade for specific courses, so check with your program for additional information.

Grading Scale

Percentage (%)

Letter Grade














F (Fail)

If a student repeats a course, both marks will appear on the transcript. The higher mark will be used to determine promotion in a program and in any decision to withdraw the student from a program. For all other purposes, averages will be calculated using both marks.

All doctoral students must be admitted to candidacy within 36 months from the date of initial registration. If a student is not admitted to candidacy within this time period, s/he will be required to withdraw from the program. Extensions may be granted under exceptional circumstances and with the permission of the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies.

Last reviewed shim3/26/2015 11:40:05 AM