Printer-friendly > Home > Current Students > Student Handbook > Program Management > Withdrawals > Voluntary Withdrawals

Voluntary Withdrawals

The following steps apply for voluntary withdrawals:

  1. A student wishing to withdraw voluntarily from the University must notify the home Graduate Program in writing in order to obtain the approval of the dean, department head or program coordinator, and the supervisor in the home Graduate Program.
  2. Once the request for voluntary withdrawal is approved by the home graduate program, the graduate coordinator or head must then send a completed Voluntary Withdrawal form, along with the student's written request, to the College of Graduate Studies stating the reason(s) for the student's withdrawal from the program and the effective date of withdrawal.
  3. When the withdrawal is approved, the academic record will show the date of withdrawal and a standing of "W" in all courses not completed on that date.
  4. The academic record will indicate "Voluntary Withdrawal".


  • A student who does not complete formal withdrawal procedures will be liable for all assessed fees until such procedures are completed.
  • Retroactive withdrawal requests will not be approved by the College of Graduate Studies unless the Graduate Program confirms in writing that the student did not attend or use any university resources as of the requested effective date of withdrawal.

Last reviewed shim3/24/2015 3:23:53 PM