The layout and contents of the title page must appear as shown on these sample title pages. The font need not be the same as in the samples.
- give a concise, accurate description of the thesis
- include key words in the title to make the thesis more easily retrievable in electronic listings
- avoid using scientific formulas, Greek letters, symbols and abbreviations in thesis titles - write them out as words instead. Symbols often cannot be indexed in a library.
- must be the one under which you are registered at UBC Okanagan
- must be the same at the top and bottom (with copyright symbol) of the title page
Previous Academic Credentials
You may list your previous academic credentials under your name if you wish. If you list them, you must include the following:
- the name of the credential (e.g. BSc)
- the full name of the institution
- the date of graduation
List the name of the degree (e.g. Doctor of Philosophy, Master of Arts)
This must be The College of Graduate Studies regardless of your home Faculty. Only the College of Graduate Studies can grant degrees.
The name of your graduate program must be in parentheses. You can confirm that you are using the correct graduate program name by checking SSC > Course Schedule and Registration > My Program > Specialization Name. Do not put "Department, School, Centre, Institute, College, or Program" on your title page.
If your degree is in Interdisciplinary Studies, so that you will be including the names of more than one discipline, please follow this example:
[Psychology / Computer Science / Music]
If your program name is included in the title of your degree, the program name in parentheses under "The College of Graduate Studies" is not required.
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Master of Arts in Planning (MAP)
- Master of Social Work (MSW)
Underneath "The University of British Columbia" you must put the name of your campus, either Vancouver or Okanagan, in parentheses.
For copies for the examination committee:
- should be the month and year of submission to the committee / external examiner
For final, post-defence submission:
- must be the month and year of final submission of your defended thesis.
The universal copyright symbol © must appear at the foot of the title page, with your name, and the year of final submission. The name must be the same at both the top and the bottom of the title page, and must be the name under which you are registered at UBC. Please be sure to use the © symbol, not the @ symbol.
Last reviewed 5/21/2015 12:11:53 PM