As part of its ongoing commitment to innovation and research, Rio Tinto Alcan offers an $18,000 research fellowship for a UBC graduate student in a field of pure or applied science related to Rio Tinto Alcan’s activities.
Deadline: TBA for 2018
Annual Value: 18,000
Award Status: Active
To be eligible, applicants must be enrolled in first year Masters or first and second year Doctoral studies in 2018 - 2019 academic year. The scholarship is non-renewable and students who received the scholarship in the past are not eligible to apply again.
Eligible Research Areas:
- hydrometallurgical processes
- Electrochemistry of molten salts
- Carbon and materials
- Aluminum metallurgy
- Molten metal processing, solidification, alloying
- Elimination, reduction, and reutilization of by-products; purification of gases and liquids
- Analytical technologies
- Development of innovative analytical techniques for raw materials and products
- Modeling and control systems
- Development of simulation and control software for production processes and manufacturing
The programme’s selection committee will consider any research projects in these areas.
The student must be enrolled or accepted in a full-time study program for a graduate degree.
Applicants are to submit application materials to the College of Graduate Studies by: TBA. The following application materials are required. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Cover letter listing: student name, UBC student number, UBC graduate program, name of UBC supervisor, names of those providing letters of recommendation
- Project description: must include proposed timetable for completion of the various steps. Maximum four pages, double spaced.
- Official transcripts for all university-level studies (including studies undertaken but not completed) up to December 31, 2017. UBC transcripts must be original and official, received by the graduate program in sealed envelope from Enrolment Services. Transcripts from institutions other than UBC must be official, but can be original or certified true copies provided by the applicant's graduate programs. Please note that students must request certified true copies of transcripts from their graduate program, not from the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors or researchers (one of whom must be your research supervisor), who have followed the applicant’s progress during his or her university studies. Only recommendation letters signed by the person providing the reference are acceptable; original, faxed, and scanned copies sent by e-mail are acceptable.
- Updated resumé.
The College of Graduate Studies Scholarship and Awards Committee will review and rank all applications submitted and forward the top-ranked applications to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, UBC Vancouver. All application materials must be received by the College of Graduate Studies by: TBA. A complete nomination package must include:
- Graduate program cover letter outlining ranking of applicants, and the rationale for ranking used (two pages maximum)
- Application materials listed above
The program cover letter and all application materials should be submitted as a single PDF file named Alcan_DEPT_LastName_FirstName.pdf. As an example, nomination for Grace Lee from Mechanical Engineering would be named Alcan_MECH_Lee_Grace.pdf.
The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, UBC Vancouver will convene an adjudication commitee composed of UBC faculty members to review nominations submitted by graduate programs and select UBC's nominees to the national competition. Only one fellowship per university will be awarded at any one time. Rio Tinto Alcan may decide not to award a fellowship if the project fails to meet the criteria and standards of excellence set by the selection committee.