Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS) program is designed to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by offering them a significant financial award to assist them during their studies at Canadian universities. Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health-related fields. Canadian and international students are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS, which is valued at $50,000 per year for up to three years.
Annual Value: $50,000
Award Status: Active
Deadline: Thursday, September 6, 2018 (11:59 pm PST - Vancouver, BC time )
- To be considered for a Vanier CGS, a student must be nominated by a Canadian university.
- Vanier scholarships must be held by the student at the University that nominated them. The scholarships are not transferable; they may not be taken to another university.
- Applicants do not have to be registered as doctoral students at the time of application, but must be registered as doctoral students at a Canadian university when they take up the Vanier CGS.
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents and international students are all eligible to apply for Vanier scholarships.
- Students who have held or are currently holding Tri-Agency scholarship funding for their doctoral program are not eligible to apply.
- Please consult the Vanier CGS website for complete eligibility requirements.
- Permanent Resident
- Incoming students
- Continuing students
Nominees will be evaluated based on the following criteria, which will be weighted equally by the peer review committees:
- Academic Excellence
- Research Potential
Please see the Vanier CGS website for complete evaluation and selection criteria.
Current and prospective students will complete their Vanier application using ResearchNet, an online application system.
Applicants to UBC must submit their complete application package via ResearchNet by: Thursday, September 6, 2018 by 11:59 pm (PST)
Applicants should refer to the Vanier Scholarship website for step-by-step application instructions.
To apply, applicants must do the following by the deadline noted above:
- notify the College of Graduate Studies that they intended to apply for the Vanier CGS by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
- provide official transcripts for all post-secondary studies up to August 31, 2018.
- official transcripts are to be submitted to the College of Graduate Studies
- the SISC Academic History can be submitted instead of an official UBC transcript; for all other universities, only official transcripts will be accepted
- for applicants registered at UBC in the 2018W1 term, the UBC transcript (or SISC Academic History) must list the student’s 2018W1 registration
- the College of Graduate Studies may have the applicant's transcripts on file from an admission application; if so, the applicant must contact the office to confirm the transcripts that are needed and to confirm that all transcripts are complete and up-to-date (degree(s) conferred, all courses include grades).
- this also includes scanned copies of official transcripts, validated and uploaded by CoGS for admitted students, available via the online admission system (SITS eVision)
- ****note: unofficial transcripts uploaded by prospective students are not acceptable
- if an applicant is submitting transcripts to the College of Graduate Studies in support of their application, the transcripts must be received in the original, sealed envelopes to be considered official.
- NEW - For students including foreign transcripts, please visit World Education Services and include the grading scale for the country from which the international transcript comes from. If the international transcripts are not presented in one of Canada's two official languages (English or French), please include a certified translation, separated from the original transcripts by a blank page.
- questions about transcript requirements can be directed to the College of Graduate Studies by emailing: email@example.com
- NEW - request letters of support from FOUR referees:
- two letters from referees assessing the applicant's academic excellence, research potential and demonstrated plus potential leadership ability are submitted electronically through ResearchNet by the referee,
- two leadership reference letters; two PDF's are provided to the applicant, who uploads the letters to his or her electronic application file,
- applicants should provide potential referees with the Vanier CGS information for referees.
- submit a completed Vanier CGS application via ResearchNet.
IMPORTANT RECENT CHANGES:
- Additional leadership reference letter - The application package now requires two letters of reference for the leadership criterion. The additional letter will allow the candidate to include a broader spectrum of referees, which will in turn provide the committee more information when assessing the leadership criterion. The leadership letters are to be uploaded by the students in the same fashion as in the past via ResearchNet. However, they will have to, upload one letter at a time under the same task. The letters are a maximum of two pages each. See instructions provided to applicants here.
- Personal leadership statement (maximum 2 pages) - for applicants to include information about interruptions to their academic career, choice of nominating institution, and mobility. The goal of this change is to eliminate systemic barriers to applying for the Vanier CGS, encourage the committee to understand career interruptions as potentially beneficial to a nominee’s career path, and better align the Vanier CGS with other prestigious international scholarships. See instructions provided to applicants here.
- Special circumstances (maximum 1 page) - only to be used to outline the calculation of the number of months completed for combined undergraduate and doctoral program. See instructions provided to applicants here.
The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies at the Vancouver campus will provide electronic copies of applications submitted by current and prospective students of the Okanagan campus to the College of Graduate Studies shortly after the internal, university application deadline.
Transcripts for applicants should be submitted to the College of Graduate Studies. Each application will need to include applicant's transcripts for all post-secondary studies up to August 31, 2018. Therefore, nominations for students who have studied at UBC prior to September 1, 2018, will need to include up-to-date UBC official transcripts.
The College of Graduate Studies will attach official transcripts to applications that are submitted by the deadline date.
The College of Graduate Studies Scholarship and Awards Committee will review and rank the applications received and will nominate the top ranked applications to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies at the Vancouver campus on : Tuesday, September 25, 2018
The quota (the maximum number of nominations the College of Graduate Studies may submit to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies at UBC-V for the Vanier CGS competitions is: TBA
A complete nomination package will consist of the following:
- Nomination form for each nominee, to be completed by the applicant’s graduate program & signed by the Department Head. Format: Microsoft Word document (not PDF), with a separate form for each nominee.
- A complete set of transcripts (both sides scanned, arranged in order from most recent to oldest) for each nominated application. Format: PDF file, with a separate file for each nominee.
The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (UBC-V) will convene an adjudication committee composed of UBC faculty members to review nominations submitted by Vancouver graduate programs and the Okanagan campus and select UBC's nominees to the national competition. This committee is made up of three subcommittees, one for each of the federal funding agencies.
Canadian universities each have a limit to the number of nominations they may submit to the Vanier CGS competition. The deadline for universities to submit their nominations to the national competition is: TBA
Results of the national competition are to be released to applicants by March 31, 2019. For details about the adjudication process at the national competition level, please see the Vanier CGS website.
AWARD NOTIFICATION : ONLY SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED.
For detailed eligibility criteria, selection criteria, and links to application materials, please see the Vanier CGS website.
Questions? Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last reviewed 7/5/2018 10:52:42 AM