Graduate Student Spaces
UBC’s Okanagan campus offers two spaces for exclusive use by graduate students. Access to both areas is granted to current graduate students who agree to abide by the terms and conditions mentioned below.
The Graduate Student Collegium – community building space
Arts and Science Centre (ASC 460)
7 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily
The Graduate Student Collegium offers a social place for graduate students to hang out, eat lunch, and spend time with peers. Graduate students can also book this space for events. The Graduate Student Collegium is set up in a relaxing lounge-style atmosphere, outfitted with comfortable furniture, a television, individual and group work spaces and kitchen facilities.
Booked Collegium events
Student Commons (COM 310)
6 a.m. to 1 a.m. daily
The Graduate Student Commons is a space uniquely designed to foster graduate student collaboration and support the overall academic wellbeing of graduate students on UBCO’s campus. Located on the top floor of the Commons, these dedicated graduate study spaces help to strengthen a sense of community for graduate students at UBC Okanagan. Filled with natural light and student-centric design, the Graduate Student Commons is an ideal space for individual or group study.
Services & Benefits:
- Two bookable meeting rooms (4-6 people)
- Powered workstations
- Adjustable height tables
- Dedicated graduate student printer
- Secure lockers
- Moveable whiteboards
Printing in the Graduate Commons:
There is a dedicated graduate student printer that uses the QuickPrint system. To use this system, please refer to the online QuickPrint guide.
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access Request for Graduate Student Spaces
To access graduate student spaces, please submit the Graduate Student Space Access Request Form below.
Booking the Graduate Student Collegium
I. PURPOSE AND SCOPE
The purpose of this User Agreement (“Agreement”) is to clearly identify the roles and responsibilities of each party as they relate to Graduate Student Spaces at UBC’s Okanagan campus. The Graduate Student Collegium (ASC 460) is a multi-purpose space located on the fourth floor in the Arts and Science building. The Graduate Student Commons is a study and collaboration space (COM 310) located on the third floor of the Student Commons.
These spaces have been approved for current graduate students registered at UBC’s Okanagan Campus.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE UNIVERSITY
- The College of Graduate Studies (CoGS) will manage and oversee the scheduling for the Graduate Student Collegium space.
- The Library will manage and oversee the scheduling of meeting rooms in the Graduate Commons space.
- Hours of operation for the Graduate Student Collegium are Sunday through Saturday (seven days a week) from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Hours of operation for the Graduate Commons Space correspond to the Commons building opening hours (generally 6 am – 1 am, 7 days per week). Should any components of the Graduate Student Spaces be stolen or vandalized, the
- University will proceed with an investigation. Students who compromise Graduate Student Spaces property could face non-academic misconduct charges.
- The University will ensure that janitorial cleanings occur periodically.
IV. GRADUATE STUDENTS’ RESPONSIBILITIES
Each current graduate student who wishes to use Graduate Student Spaces is responsible for and acknowledges the following:
- Formal access will be granted upon the student’s acknowledgement that he or she has agreed to these terms and conditions.
- All components of the rooms, including furniture, appliances, TV, printers, lockers, decorative pieces, board games, etc., have been accounted for and must remain within the confines of the Graduate Student Spaces.
- Any student who removes any component of the rooms will be required to pay the cost of replacement of that item.
Room Cleaning and Maintenance:
- Graduate students who use these spaces are expected to keep the spaces tidy and return equipment, furniture, and other items to their proper places.
Food (applicable to COM 310 only):
- Food is permitted in the space while the student is working.
- No food will be stored in the space.
- No food preparation is allowed in the space.
- No small appliances will be allowed in the space.
- Graduate students are responsible for removing all their garbage to the bins provided.
V. STUDENT AGREEMENT
You agree to the terms and conditions associated with the use of Graduate Student Spaces as outlined above. Access privilege may be suspended or terminated for any violation of the terms and conditions.
The Graduate Workshop Room – workshops and defence practice
Student Commons (COM 311)
booked use only
The Graduate Workshop Room is a space used to hold professional, academic and health and wellness workshops for graduate students. When not booked for workshops, this space is available for graduate students to practice thesis or dissertation examinations.
The Graduate Workshop Room can only be booked one month or less in advance of the requested booking. To book the Graduate Workshop Room:
Fill out and submit the Graduate Workshop Room booking form.
If the room is available at your requested time, you receive a confirmation with access instructions.