Graduate Student Advisory Council
The Graduate Student Advisory Council (GSAC) represents graduate students and serves as the student advisory group to the Dean and Director of the College of Graduate Studies (CoGS). GSAC’s function is to encourage involvement with the University and the advancement of graduate and professional studies. GSAC also serves as a conduit for information between CoGS, the CoGS Director, and graduate students, as well as assisting the Dean in advocating and supporting graduate education on campus.
Meetings are normally held monthly and will address one key issue for in-depth discussion, as identified by GSAC members.
Quorum is 10.
GSAC members may at times wish to form Working Groups which would then report back to GSAC.
Meeting minutes will be circulated to committee members within five business days of the meeting, to be shared with their graduate program colleagues.
Next meeting: March 27th, 2019
The purpose of the Graduate Student Advisory Council is to:
- Provide advice and feedback to the Dean, the Associate Dean, and the Director of the College of Graduate Studies on key issues for graduate students at UBC Okanagan;
- Provide information on policies, procedures, workshops, other events and funding from the CoGS office and from Graduate Council;
- Enable a forum for in-depth discussion on important issues, as identified by GSAC members and their graduate program colleagues;
- Advocate for change, and to provide leadership, on key issues such as, but not limited to, student services and funding;
- Provide a forum where GSAC members can also discuss issues and strategize with Graduate Student Senators
- Help fill graduate student representative vacancies on relevant committees, as needed
- Dean, College of Graduate Studies (Chair) (ex officio)
- Associate Dean(s), College of Graduate Studies (Vice Chair) (ex officio)
- Director, College of Graduate Studies (ex officio)
- Graduate Student Senators (non-voting)
- Representative, Health and Wellness (non-voting)
- Two Graduate student representatives from the following:
- Applied Science
- I.K. Barber School – 2 representatives from each department
- Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies
- Faculty of Health and Social Development – 2 representatives each from Nursing, Health Studies and Social Work
- Faculty of Management
- Invited guests, as appropriate
The CoGS office will issue a call to Graduate Program Coordinators for representatives annually each August in order to populate GSAC for the academic year, starting in September. Members will be appointed for a term of one year with the option of renewing for an additional year.
Ivan Ho: Education (MEd)
Ben Wiltshire: Engineering (PhD)
Roger Bizzotto: Management (Masters)
Camilo Pena: Management (PhD)
Natalie Matthews: Nursing (PhD)
Chantal Vien: Social Work (Masters)
Tara Ettinger: Social Work (PhD)
Nicole Peletz-Bohbot: Community, Culture & Global Studies (Masters)
Eva-Lena Lang: Community, Culture & Global Studies (Masters)
Nitin: Chemistry (MSc)
Jill Robinson: Psychology
Claire Zhang: Mathematics (MSc)
Taisto Witt: History & Sociology – (MA)
Laura Mudde: History & Sociology – (PhD)
Riccardo Graziani: Earth, Environmental & Geographic Sciences – (PhD)
Sarah Lawrason: Health and Exercise Sciences & IGS (PhD)
Helena Neudorf: Health and Exercise Sciences (MSc)
Megan Harper: Graduate Student Senator
Uchenna Anyaoha: Graduate Student Senator
Ashraf Ahsan: Graduate Community Facilitator
Cassidy Wallis: Graduate Community Facilitator