Prepare Your Application
The College of Graduate Studies establishes the minimum admission requirements for all applicants. Each graduate program may have additional requirements. It is recommended that all potential applicants refer to specific Graduate Degree Programs for detailed information regarding the program and specific admission requirements.
Before beginning your application, we recommend that you carefully read the application deadlines and requirements below to prepare your application.
- Online application and application fee
- Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended – including records from in progress, courses-only, or uncompleted programs
- Three letters of reference
- English proficiency exam scores (if required)*
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume: A curriculum vitae or resume is required by most programs. Please format your curriculum vitae or resume to suit your chosen program or field.
- Statement of Intent/Statement of Purpose
- Permanent Residents of Canada must provide a clear photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident card
* When an application is submitted, the “English Language Proficiency Test” requirement is automatically added to all applications. The requirement will be removed as appropriate when the College of Graduate Studies first reviews the application (approximately 5-10 business days after submission).
Note: Individual graduate programs may require different components. Please contact the program directly for academic advising and program related questions. The program’s contact information is on the program’s website.
In addition to the general admission documentation required by the College of Graduate Studies, individual programs may require documents as part of your application. Program specific documentation may include:
A curriculum vitae or resume is required by most programs. Please format your curriculum vitae or resume to suit your chosen program or field.
STATEMENT OF INTENT/PURPOSE
Most programs require applicants to provide a brief statement regarding the applicant’s academic and/or professional goals and how these align with the program.
The following programs have provided information regarding their specific requirements for the statement of intent/purpose:
- MSN/PhD Nursing
- MA English
- IGS Digital Arts & Humanities Theme
- M.Ed, MA – Education, IGS – Individualized (Education)
If your program is not listed above and you have questions regarding the statement of intent/purpose, please contact the program directly.
SCHOLARLY WRITING SAMPLE
A scholarly writing sample is required by some programs. Examples of scholarly writing samples include course papers, conference papers, and publications.
CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK
Students admitted to the Social Work (MSW) program or Psychology (Clinical) program are required to submit criminal record checks. For detailed information regarding criminal record check requirements and submissions, please review the link relevant to your intended program:
- Social Work
- Psychology (Clinical)
A portfolio is required for applicants to the MFA program.
The deadlines for complete application packages can be found in our Deadlines database.
Some programs may accept complete application packages submitted after the posted deadline date. Please contact the program before submitting an application after the published deadline date.