English Proficiency Requirements – test
English Language Proficiency Requirements
As a temporary COVID-19 response, the College of Graduate Studies will be accepting the following additional English language tests to meet our admission requirements for the 2021 Winter application cycle:
TOEFL iBT – Home Edition
- Minimum requirement for admission = See below TOEFL score requirements
- Minimum requirement for admission = overall 70, with 60 on the speaking sub-test
Duolingo English Test
- Minimum requirement for admission = 125 overall on a single sitting of the test
Important Note: Submission of these test scores is limited to applicants who do not have access to take the TOEFL, IELTS, or CAEL tests.
Applicants from a university outside Canada at which English is not the primary language of instruction must present evidence of competency to pursue studies in the English language prior to being extended an offer of admission. Test scores must have been taken within the last 24 months. Acceptable English language proficiency tests for applicants to graduate studies are:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): 90 overall with a minimum score of 22 in Reading & Listening and a minimum score of 21 in Writing & Speaking (Internet version); minimum score of 22 in Reading & Listening and a minimum score of 21 in Writing (paper version) (The College of Graduate Studies accepts MyBest Scores). The TOEFL code for UBC’s Okanagan campus is: 0965; or
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service): Academic minimum overall band score of 6.5, with no individual score less than 6.0. When ordering test scores, please use our office address (located at the bottom of this page) and list the following under additional information:
- Name of Department Head: College of Graduate Studies
- Email id for Department Head: Gradadmissions.email@example.com
- Contact Number of Department Head: 250 807 8772
Individual graduate programs may set higher English language proficiency scores than those listed above. Please check the program requirements for your area of study.
English language test scores must be received by the College of Graduate Studies directly from the testing agency to be considered official. Photocopies of test scores will not be accepted as official.
The English proficiency test checklist item is added to all applications, both international and document. It will be removed for eligible applicants once your file is reviewed by an officer. Please allow up to 10 business days for processing.
- Take your exam and request your official scores to be sent to our office right away.
- Make sure you upload your unofficial scores with your online application.
- The official scores might take some time to get to our office. An admission officer will process and validate your official scores once they are received.
- Check the status of your documents in the online application system.