April 24, 2019
Eligibility of Citizenship: Canadian, Permanent Residence, and International
Degree Level: Masters and Doctoral
Award Status: Open
Applicant Status: Continuing Students
One gold medal is awarded to the student who has achieved the most outstanding academic record as a doctoral or master’s student completing a dissertation or thesis. This is an opportunity to honour the best in the graduating class within the College of Graduate Studies. Medals are presented on behalf of the Governor General of Canada by participating educational institutions, along with a personalized certificate signed by the Governor General. There is no monetary award associated with the medals.
Students must have submitted the final copy of their thesis or dissertation to the College of Graduate Studies between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018.
- Graduate programs must determine an internal deadline for students in their program. It is important for graduate programs to establish a deadline that will allow sufficient time to provide nominations for each award cycle as determined by the College of Graduate Studies
- Students must complete a Governor General’s Gold Medal Application Form by the deadline date specified by their former graduate program. Applications must be submitted directly to the graduate program in which the student was registered
- Each Program Coordinator will nominate one student to the College of Graduate Studies by the deadline indicated above
- A nomination must include the following:
- Application form filled out by the student
- Supervisor recommendation form
- Nominations received from graduate programs will be reviewed and ranked by the College of Graduate Studies Scholarship and Awards Committee
- The College of Graduate Studies will submit a 150-word citation for the winner to Ceremonies and Events, which will be read at Convocation in June 2019 and informs the winner and confirms attendance at Convocation. The winner may have graduated at an earlier Convocation, but are invited to attend the June 2019 ceremony. Governor General Recommendation Forms for the winner are then submitted to the Student Financial Assistance and Awards office, which assigns the award on the Student Information System
- Only successful applicants will be notified
Further information about the Governor General’s Academic Medals can be found on the website for the Governor General of Canada.
Questions? Please contact: email@example.com