TBA: Likely Spring 2022
Eligibility of Citizenship: Canadian and Permanent Residence
Degree Level: Masters and Doctoral
Award Status: Closed
Applicant Status: Incoming Students and Continuing Students
The Canada Graduate Scholarships – Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements (CGS-MSFSS) Program supports high-calibre Canadian graduate students in building global linkages and international networks through the pursuit of exceptional research experiences at research institutions abroad. By accessing international scientific research and training, CGS-MSFSS recipients will contribute to strengthening the potential for collaboration between Canadian and foreign institutions.
This program is available to Canadian citizens or permanent residents who hold a Tri-Agency Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) at the Master’s or doctoral level or a Vanier CGS. Note that international students who hold a Vanier CGS are not eligible for this competition.
Annual Value: up to $6,000 for 2 to 6 months
For complete eligibility criteria and program details, please review the harmonized program description hosted on NSERC’s website.
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the linkage between the CGS research goals, the activities outlined for the proposed research study period abroad, and the applicant’s future research/career goals, considering:
- the significance, feasibility and merit of proposed activities at the foreign institution
- the justification for the choice of host institution and/or host supervisor
- the relevance and anticipated benefits of the proposed activities to the candidate’s current graduate-degree training
For reference, the program objectives are as follows:
- to support high-caliber Canadian graduate students in building global linkages and international networks through the pursuit of exceptional research experiences abroad
- to strengthen the potential for collaboration between Canadian institutions and other research institutions outside of Canada
Application and Nomination Procedures
- For application and nomination procedures, please follow the instructions indicated on the website of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies at UBC’s Vancouver Campus
- New for Fall 2021: Online Application
Please review the harmonized program description hosted on NSERC’s website: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/PG-CS/CGSForeignStudy-BESCEtudeEtranger_eng.asp
The CGS-MSFSS Award Holder’s Gulde: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/CGSMSFSSRegs-BESCSEEMSRegs_eng.asp
For questions about UBC’s MSFSS application and review procedures, please contact Joanne Tsui at firstname.lastname@example.org.