Printer-friendly > Home > Prospective Students > Application & Admission > Application Components and Required Documents > International Transcripts, Degree Certificates & Translations

International Transcripts, Degree Certificates & Translations

Applicants can scan and upload digital copies (pdfs) of official required documents in the application system. These are considered "unofficial documents" and will be used for initial evaluation of the applicant.

Conditional admission offers may be made based on documents uploaded to the application system; however, admission offers will not be finalized and applicants will not be allowed to register in a graduate program until one set of all required official academic records are received and validated by the University.

Uploading Transcripts

Applicants with transcripts from non-Canadian post-secondary institutions must obtain an official paper transcript for every post-secondary institution they have attended.

Please ensure that the grading scale is indicated on your transcript. If no grading scale is shown, please upload it as part of your application.

Each transcript must be scanned as an individual pdf file and then uploaded to the application system as indicated. Please follow any directions the specific graduate program provides about naming your scanned document files. Otherwise, they should be named: "Applicant Full Name-Document Description.extension"

Peng Zhang-Peking University Transcript.pdf
Peng Zhang-Peking University Transcript English Translation.pdf
Peng Zhang-CV.pdf
Peng Zhang-Journal of Neurosciences Paper.pdf

Transcripts must be scanned front and back. All pages of one transcript, front and back, should be uploaded as a single file (rather than a separate file for each page).

If you have transcripts that are issued in a language other than English, then in addition to uploading digital copies of the documents in their original language, you must also upload a certified literal English translation of your transcripts from your home university's translation service or certified English translator.

Please consult the document scanning and uploading instructions provided within the online application for detailed instructions.

If you are unable to upload copies of your transcripts during the application process, please arrange for official transcripts to be submitted to the College of Graduate Studies immediately.  Applications will not be reviewed until transcripts are included in the application package.

Submitting Official Transcripts

To be considered official, academic records must either be received in official university envelopes, sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution, or be sent via secure electronic delivery by the issuing institution.

After being offered admission: If you have been offered admission conditional upon receipt of official documentation, you must provide UBC with one set of official transcripts for every post-secondary institution you have attended.

If an official transcript does not indicate the degree name and the degree conferral date, then an official copy of the degree certificate must also be submitted.  

Documents should be sent directly to:

College of Graduate Studies
University of British Columbia, Okanagan Campus
EME 2121 - 1137 Alumni Avenue
Kelowna, BC  V1V 1V7

If your university issues only one original copy of transcripts/degree certificates: 

Make photocopies of your original academic records and send them to your home university. Ask your home university to:

  • verify that the photocopies are consistent with their records;
  • attest that the copies are true photocopies and stamp them with an official university stamp;
  • put the attested, stamped photocopies in sealed envelopes endorsed by the Registrar;
  • mail the sealed, endorsed envelopes directly to the College of Graduate Studies.

Translation of Transcripts

If you have graduated from institutions where the transcripts are issued in a language other than English or French, then you must:

  • arrange to have a set of all official transcripts issued in their original language;
  • obtain a certified literal English translation of your transcripts from your home university's translation service;
  • send both the original transcripts and the literal English translation to the College of Graduate Studies, in sealed envelopes endorsed by your university.

If your home university does not provide English translations of transcripts, you must:

  • make a photocopy of your copy of your transcripts. Do not open a sealed, endorsed envelope containing transcripts intended for submission to the College of Graduate Studies.
  • Take the copy to a certified English translator and ask them to provide a complete, word-by-word, literal English translation;
  • tell the translator to put both the original language photocopy and the English translation into a sealed envelope, and endorse the envelope by signing across the seal;
  • send the sealed, endorsed envelopes from the translator to the College of Graduate Studies; 
  • send your original transcripts in the original language to the College of Graduate Studies. 

Note: Academic records must be translated in their entirety, including any information that appears on the reverse side of any document.

Current and Former UBC Students

You do not need to submit UBC transcripts as part of your graduate application, as this data is already available through the student database system; however, you are still responsible for submitting transcripts from all other post-secondary institutions that you have attended (e.g., exchange year, transfer year, etc.).

UBC does not accept the following:

  • photocopies that have not been stamped, attested and endorsed by the Registrar at your home university
  • documents in envelopes that have been opened
  • documents that do not arrive in sealed envelopes endorsed by the issuing institution or certified translator
  • documents that arrive without the official seal of the university
  • photocopies notarized by a notary public
  • photocopies endorsed by a lawyer, professor, judge, etc.
  • unofficial translations
  • non-literal translations

Do not send academic records that are not in sealed and endorsed envelopes. This will delay the processing of your application.

Document Ownership

Documents submitted in support of applications become the property of the University and may not be returned to the applicant or student. Students who submit irreplaceable material may request the return of that material. Such requests must be submitted with the original material. The College of Graduate Studies will return the material as soon as possible, and not later than six months after the student's graduation or last registration.





Last reviewed shim7/19/2017 1:49:34 PM