TBA: likely June 4th, 2022
Eligibility of Citizenship: Canadian, Permanent Residence, and International
Degree Level: Masters and Doctoral
Award Status: Closed
Applicant Status: Incoming Students and Continuing Students
As part of its ongoing commitment to innovation and research, Rio Tinto offers an $18,000 graduate scholarship for a UBC graduate student in a field of pure or applied science related to Rio Tinto’s activities in mining.
To be eligible, applicants must be enrolled or accepted in a first year Master’s or first or second year Doctoral studies in the 2021-2022 academic year. The scholarship is non-renewable and students who received the scholarship in the past are not eligible to apply again.
Eligible Research Areas
- Aluminum metallurgy
- Electrolysis of molten salts
- Science of the environment
- Analytical technologies
- Modeling and control systems
- Data Science
The program’s selection committee will consider any research projects in these areas.
Applicants must be enrolled or accepted in a full-time study program for a graduate degree.
The criteria used by the committee to decide the recipient are:
- Academic documents including distinctions
- Publications (depending of the level of advancement)
- Work experience / Leadership / Social implication
- Quality of the reference letters
- Relevance of the topic for the Aluminium industry
Applicants are to submit application materials to the College of Graduate Studies by the deadline indicated above. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. The following application materials are required:
- Cover letter listing:
- student name
- UBC student number
- UBC graduate program
- name of UBC supervisor
- names of those providing letters of recommendation
- Proof of enrollment or acceptance
- Current UBC students: You can obtain a proof of enrollment in your SSC account in ‘Grades and Records’ > ‘Proof of Enrollment letters’
- Project description (four page maximum, double spaced)
- Must include proposed timeline
- Official, up-to-date transcripts for all university-level studies (including studies undertaken but not completed and transfer courses)
- If you have submitted official transcripts as part of your application for admission to UBC Okanagan, please verify with graduate awards (firstname.lastname@example.org) that these transcripts are on file and acceptable prior to the submission of your award application.
- If you have not submitted official transcripts as part of your application for admission to UBC Okanagan, you will need to send official copies to the College of Graduate Studies immediately. Please find more information on submitting official transcripts here.
- Unofficial transcripts submitted as part of your application for admission or otherwise are not acceptable. Transcripts that do not include a grading scale/system or that do not include an official English translation where applicable will be deemed unacceptable.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors or researchers (one of whom must be your research supervisor), who have followed the applicant’s progress during his or her university studies. Only recommendation letters signed by the person providing the reference are acceptable; original, faxed, and scanned copies sent by e-mail are acceptable
- References must be submitted, by the referee, electronically to: email@example.com
- Up to date CV (no page limit)
Please submit all application materials electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The College of Graduate Studies Scholarship and Awards Committee reviews and ranks all applications submitted and forwards up to two (2) applications to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies at UBC Vancouver
- The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will convene an adjudication committee composed of UBC faculty members to review nominations submitted by graduate programs and select UBC’s nominees to the national competition. Only one fellowship per university will be awarded at any one time. Rio Tinto may decide not to award a fellowship if the project fails to meet the criteria and standards of excellence set by the selection committee
Questions? Please contact: email@example.com